Threads was launched on July 5th 2023 and it is an application that is linked with Instagram, hence the META group now has a new member. Most of the current Instagram users have joined Threads the exact day just to explore the new platform, and they have been giving the rest of the non-Thread users mixed comments about the platform. The most said and evident fact is that Threads is a look-alike of Twitter and in the future it’ll be Twitter’s biggest rivalry.
Threads still have many features to upgrade and bring in, the existing features are as follows,
- Threads is a text-based application, where you can share text updates and join on public conversations.
- Currently Threads has a word limit of upto 500 characters, while Twitter’s limit is currently 4,000.
- Threads has a video length limit of upto 5 minutes, while Twitter’s limit is 140 seconds (2 min 20 secs) and if you are a Blue Tick Subscriber, you’ll have a limit of upto 2 hours long on your iOS devices or on the website logged via computer and 10 minutes long on your android devices.
- Individuals who are under the age of 16 (18 in some countries), will be allotted a private account in Threads until they are of the legal age.
- Existing core accessibility features in Instagram such as screen reader support and AI-generated image descriptions are also enabled in Threads.
- The rest of Instagram’s Community Guidelines are applicable here too.
Threads now helps close friends and existing followers of the Instagram users to connect with each other, also similar to Instagram Threads users will be shown suggestions of creators who are posting on similar interests. You can add you Threads posts on your Instagram account’s story or just as a regular post.
Privacy will always be in question when it comes to social media, and the same question is now being posed for Threads too. The creators have made sure to make the users know that their private data will not be leaked or used inappropriately. Just like in Instagram you can control your account’s as well as content’s visibility, and you can filter out people too
Also, to delete your Threads account you’ll have to delete your Instagram account too. Incase if you only wish to deactivate your Threads account, it’ll be deactivated and your contents will be invisible to others.
Threads has the future plan to work with Activity Pub, so that users can transfer the data from Threads to other service platforms. The creators of Threads have the vision to make non-Threads users be able to interact in the platform without having the actual application, as well as the vis versa. The creators are trying to bring alive an era of interconnected social platforms, where all services are accessible, user friendly and data transfer friendly. Threads is Meta’s first app envisioned to be compatible with an open social networking protocol they hope that by joining this fast-growing ecosystem of interoperable services, Threads will help people find their community, no matter what app they use.
Threads is still being monitored and is still new to even the current users, only by time we’ll know how the application grows and what future it holds. The only certain fact now is that if Threads fulfills all the promises and its future plans, there might not be a huge audience for Twitter. We can never be sure who wins and who falls in the social media game and technology as a small glitch can cause a major inconvenience, which will be a huge drawback for the creators. Let us wait for more updates and big news on the application.